Nowhere is the Andechs brewing tradition closer than in the Bräustüberl. In the course of the past 120 years, it has positively “grown into” the old brewery.
The “original” Bräustüberl was in today’s Grützner-Stüberl. It only had space for around a dozen guests before 1900. That was the time when the monastic master brewers were also responsible for serving in the Andechser Bräustüberl.
Brother Jakob Neubauer
Master brewer and Andechs original
One of them, Brother Jakob Neubauer (1823-1886), became one of the best-known Andechs master brewers. This is due among other things to his friend, the painter Eduard Grützner.
Grützner immortalised him in several paintings. Here Brother Jakob is seen in the picture to the left.
Father Willibald Mathäser includes an anecdote in his Andechs chronicle that accurately describes Brother Jakob:
“Brother Jakobus also addressed Prince Ludwig, who would become Bavaria’s last monarch as King Ludwig III, with the same direct openness. The young member of the Wittelsbach family with his wife Therese came into the Bräustüberl on the Holy Mountain one day when it was busy. There was not an empty chair to be found, indoors or in the garden, which is why Prince Ludwig sent for Brother Jakobus with a request to procure some seating. The Brother, who had his hands full serving at the bar, was unable to help. He was short-spoken: “Tell their Majesties to find a spot where they can, like everyone else. A prince and princess are no different than other people.”
Entrance to the original Bräustüberl
Original photo from 1904
Brother Ämilian Dempf is standing in the middle, in the light-coloured brewer’s apron. He was already listed in the monastery’s catalogue in 1886 as “socius braxatoris” – assistant and employee of the master brewer – under his Christian name Antonius.
As Brother Ämilian Dempf, he remained so from 1887 to 1919. From 1920 until his death on 22 April 1925, he managed the monastery brewery as “braxator” – master brewer.
There is a dedication on the back of the photo: “A friendly reminder of 10 August 1904, Xaver Schirmböck, Augsburg, Göggingerstr.” Whether Xaver Schirmböck himself is also shown in the photo is unclear. It is possible that Xaver Schirmböck was the Augsburg banker who tragically lost his life in a car accident in 1939 in Schorndorf, which also involved Bert Brecht’s father.
Vault of the Andechser Bräustüberl
Presumably part of the old malthouse
Until the beginning of the 20th century, the “original” Bräustüberl only had space for a few dozen guests.
The first rail line between Munich and Herrsching opened in 1903. The old Bräustüberl – today’s Grütznerstüberl – quickly became too small as the crowds of visitors rapidly grew. After the construction of the new malthouse in 1906/07, the Bräustüberl was expanded into the old malthouse – today’s vault.
The green tiled stove to the right in the photo is standing in the same spot to this day.
Farewell to Oberwachtmeister Dicker in January 1915
This photo of the Bräustüberl’s bar was take during the farewell to Oberwachtmeister Dicker.
From left to right in the photo: Brother Alfred Kargerbauer, the Erling watchmaker August Hemberger, who also built the bell mechanism for the Andechs Pilgrimage Church, and Brother Korbinian Schmid.
Brother Alfred and Brother Korbinian served as barmen in the Andechser Bräustüberl for many years. Brother Alfred continued his service as barman until 1938 when pressure from the National Socialists forced the Bräustüberl to close. He was the last barman in the Bräustüberl from the circle of the Andechs monks.
Old Bräustüberl in Andechs
Presumably taken in the old malthouse.
This reprint of a photo from the Andechs Monastery archive taken in the year 1925 is commented with “Old Bräustüberl in Andechs – formerly the only recreation room”.
Brother Alfred Kargerbauer can be seen standing by the tiled stove, wearing the big bar apron. Next to him, slightly in the background to the left of Brother Alfred is Brother Korbinian Schmid. Both were barmen for many years.
The tradition of service by the Andechs monks ended with the closing of the Bräustüberl in 1938.
The Bräustüberl was only reopened by Abbot Hugo Lang on St. Joseph’s day in 1952.
New beer hall in Andechs
Built under the prior Father Augustin Engl
This reprint of a photo from the Andechs Monastery archive taken in 1927 is commented with “New beer hall in Andechs – built under the prior Father Augustin Engl”.
It was taken on the topmost of the new malthouse’s seven storeys, constructed on the Holy Mountain in 1906/07.
Only this highest room of the malthouse was opened in the summer when visitor numbers were high. Since the expansion of the Bräustüberl in 1970, it is open to visitors year-round as the “Wappensaal”.
Brother Alfred Kargerbauer is seen at the front left with the bar apron and pitchers, Brother Korbinian Schmid next to him, a little farther back. Both were barmen for many years.
Service by the monks ended with the closing of the Bräustüberl in 1938.
Until World War II, the beer was served by the monks themselves from the storage barrels behind the original Bräustüberl. The Bräustüberl was forced to close at the start of World War II. It did not reopen until 19 March 1952, St. Joseph’s day. At the “kiosk” set up at the time, which has been modernised and enlarged several times over the years, visitors got their food themselves, a tradition that remains firmly established in Andechs.
Expansions were necessary again in 1970.
As visitor numbers continued to increase, further expansions were required in 1970. The rooms of the now “old malthouse” on the eastern slope of the Holy Mountain were ideal for this. The spacious Wappensaal and the smaller Mälzer-Stüberl now have their homes where brewing malt was made from brewing barley until the end of the 1960s. There is a bakery in the Wappensaal that is always preparing fresh pretzels, “Auszogne” Bavarian donuts and other sweet treats. After the full renovation in the 1970s, the Grützner-Stüberl also harmonises with the overall appearance of the Bräustüberl. The Bräustüberl’s beer terrace was expanded with the Ostterrasse in 1998.
In keeping with the ancient pilgrimage tradition, visitors are permitted to bring their own food everywhere in the Bräustüberl and on the terraces, and to enjoy it with an Andechs beer.
News from the Andechs Monastery on YouTube, Facebook and Instagram