Chapel of Pain

The Chapel of Pain gets its name from the carved pieta on the altar. It expresses the pain of Mary at the death of her son Jesus.

Wessobrunn stucco (around 1670) decorates the chapel’s vault. In the 15th century, the chapel was originally the burial place of the Hesseloher zu Pähl and dedicated to Saint Catherine of Alexandria.

The pieta originates from the late 17th century. It is one of the numerous sculptural replicas of Flemish painter Willem Key’s “The Lamentation” initiated by the sculptor Hans Krumper of Weilheim.

Reliquary busts of Saint Benedict, Saint Scholastica, Pope Gregory the Great and Pope Leo IX from the early 18th century are found in the glass cabinet on the south wall.

Burial place

The Wittelsbach Prince Heinrich of Bavaria (deceased in 1958) and the world famous Bavarian composer Carl Orff (deceased in 1982) are buried in the chapel. An epitaph at the entrance serves as a reminder of the Abbot Michael Einslin of Andechs (deceased in 1640).

You will find our art guide in the Monastery Store.

Andechs Monastery Emblem